2010

NY9763 : Dilston Chapel, north side

taken 14 years ago, near to Dilston, Northumberland, England

Dilston Chapel, north side
Dilston Chapel, north side
A Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, built c1616. A tablet, carved with a cross and the word ‘MARIA’, is on the north wall (facing), sited above a former entrance. The building is a rare example of a Post-Reformation recusant chapel (for Catholics refusing to attend services of the Church of England). There is a Roman sepulchral stone in the external east gable, bearing an effigy of a woman, clad in the garments of the sick chamber, food placed in her hands for the journey to the after life LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
Dilston Hall

Dilston Castle is a fortified solar LinkExternal link tower, built by Sir William Claxton, c1417. It was enlarged in Elizabethan times and a Jacobean manor house, Dilston Hall, added in 1622. They were both incorporated in a palatial mansion belonging to James Radcliffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater. This was surrounded by ornate gardens, all in a grand style. After his execution for high treason in 1715, and the death of his son in 1731, the Derwentwater estates were seized by the Government and passed to the Greenwich Hospital Trustees. The Hall, now in a ruinous state, was demolished in 1765, leaving only the original tower house. Many stories about the estate, hall and the Radcliffes passed into local folk lore.
Now, all that remains of Dilston Hall are alterations made to the Castle, the Chapel, the Gateway and Lord's Bridge over the Devil's Water, along with recently excavated remains of the buildings. The current Dilston Hall (a large country house and former maternity home) and 9 acres of park, woodland and gardens, which include the ruined castle and chapel, are operated as a training college by the mental health charity, Mencap.
Archive LinkExternal link
According to Dan Brown's novel, 'The Da Vinci Code', James Radcliffe's brother, Charles, was the 20th Grand Master of the Priory of Sion from 1727. This was said to be a shadowy organisation guarding secret knowledge of the whereabouts of the Holy Grail. Perhaps, with the archaeological excavations continuing annually around the castle, it'll actually be found there.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Chapel
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Dilston Chapel [9] Other Photos: · Dilston Chapel, north side Title Clusters: · Dilston Chapel, north side [2] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NY9763, 80 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Andrew Curtis   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 August, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 22 August, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 9757 6325 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:57.8324N 2:2.3690W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 9756 6326
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 813 times
You are not logged in login | register