TQ5838 : The Bath House and Chalybeate Spring

taken 9 years ago, near to Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Great Britain

The Bath House and Chalybeate Spring
The Bath House and Chalybeate Spring
The discovery of the Chalybeate Spring just over 400 years ago in 1606, marked the beginning of Tunbridge Wells, and it still forms a central part of the Pantiles and of Royal Tunbridge Wells today. Visitors came to see and be seen in fashionable Tunbridge Wells, but above all to take Chalybeate water.

Chalybeate (pronounced Ka-lee-bee-at) means iron-rich, and the iron taste is evident in the unique taste of the water. At the height of its popularity in the eighteenth century, the Spring water was reputed to cure all sorts of ills from infertility and hangovers to obesity and 'a moist brain'.
LinkExternal link
The Pantiles
The Pantiles is the most famous street in Tunbridge Wells. It was originally a grove of trees until the Chalybeate spring was discovered in 1606. It rapidly developed into the hub of the new spa town. The street has over 40 listed buildings on it.
The Pantiles and Tunbridge Wells itself, owe their beginnings to the discovery of the Chalybeate Spring in the early 17th century and the popularity of the spa water amongst the gentry and royalty of Georgian England. As Tunbridge Wells grew in popularity as a spa resort, so did the area surrounding the Spring - eventually leading to the building of the colonnaded walkway in the 18th century, later known as The Pantiles.
In its heyday in Georgian times, the 'Walks' as they were then known, were the place to see and be seen for visitors to Tunbridge Wells. A strict protocol was adhered to - gentry on the 'Upper Walks', the colonnade, and everyone else on the 'Lower Walks'. Richard Beau Nash, a dandy of the day made it his business to ensure that this protocol was adhered to by acting as a kind of Master of Ceremonies during 'the season' in Tunbridge Wells and in the town's rival, Bath. Things are much more relaxed nowadays and the Pantiles is now a very attractive and stylish part of Royal Tunbridge Wells.
Much of the colonnade has been renewed since its beginnings in the 17th century but most of the surrounding buildings date from the 18th and 19th centuries.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Paul Gillett and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ5838, 1567 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 11 September, 2010   (more nearby)
Saturday, 11 September, 2010
Bath house   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 58166 38771 [1m precision]
WGS84: 51:7.5832N 0:15.5327E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 58157 38761
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 53 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register