2010

SP3780 : Remains of Caludon Castle, Wyken

taken 14 years ago, near to Walsgrave on Sowe, Coventry, England

Remains of Caludon Castle, Wyken
Remains of Caludon Castle, Wyken
Caludon Castle is the only surviving castle ruin in Coventry.

Apparently the name is derived from 'calle' (meaning mossy) and 'don' (meaning hill).

The original moated castle is thought to have been built c.1279 on a site 100 yards south of this spot - this earlier moat still survives. In the 14th century a new moated castle was constructed by the Lords of Mowbray who were also Dukes of Norfolk. The surviving wall is the north wall of their Great Hall. The Berkeley family acquired the castle c1495. It fell into decay when the Berkeleys left in 1630. Later a farmhouse was built on the site but this was demolished in 1964. Today the site is a public park.

Legend says that Caludon was also the birthplace of England's patron saint St George.

(Information obtained from Friends of Caludon Castle Park at Heritage Open Days 2010 LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link ) )

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John Brightley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Castle > Castle
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SP3780, 97 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
John Brightley   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 12 September, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 12 September, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 3737 8016 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:25.0898N 1:27.1173W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 3741 8010
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph (Fourth Visitor for SP3780)
This page has been viewed about 408 times
You are not logged in login | register