2010

TG2309 : Norwich Puppet Theatre - St James Pockthorpe, Norwich

taken 14 years ago, near to Norwich, Norfolk, England

Norwich Puppet Theatre - St James Pockthorpe, Norwich
Norwich Puppet Theatre - St James Pockthorpe, Norwich
The former south aisle, now the foyer.

The Pockthorpe area of Norwich used to be dominated by the Pockthorpe Brewery. St James was one of the early churches to adopt High Church ritual. The most memorable feature of this church is probably its tower with a brick octagon resting on a flint cube. The church of St James' Whitefriars (Pockthorpe) > Link was founded in the time of William the Conqueror. It is situated in an area locally known as Pockthorpe and was adjoined by a Carmelite (Whitefriars) monastery. A porch with a parvise above was added in the 14th and 15th centuries, followed by the construction of a rood stair turret in the 15 century - now used to access the theatre lighting and scenery bars. A south aisle - now the foyer - was added during the 16th century and the upper octagonal brick tower dates from 1743. After the church closed it functioned for some time as a night shelter and all furnishings were dispersed. The font > Link and the painted rood screen dado can now be seen in the daughter church of St Mary Magdalene > Link in nearby Silver Road. The conversion to Puppet Theatre took place in 1979/80 and today the Norwich Puppet Theatre is one of only two puppet theatres that remain in England. The nave > Link is now occupied by the auditorium, a steel framework supporting the seating which can accommodate an audience of 185. The working stage area of the theatre is housed in the chancel. Several memorials > Link can be seen in the backstage area. The adjoining Octagon building was added in 1985 and houses the Octagon Studio, a gallery space, workshop areas and the administrative office of the theatre.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TG2309, 1928 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Evelyn Simak   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 11 September, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 12 September, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 234 093 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:38.1261N 1:18.0032E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 234 093
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 92 times
You are not logged in login | register