2010

NZ1672 : Vicar's Pele Tower, Ponteland

taken 14 years ago, near to Ponteland, Northumberland, England

Vicar's Pele Tower, Ponteland
Vicar's Pele Tower, Ponteland
The Vicarage Tower or Vicar's Pele was built around 1400. Pele Towers were defensive buildings constructed to provide defence during the border raids. It was formerly the residence of the vicars of Ponteland and in the C18th was incorporated into a much larger vicarage complex. This was demolished in 1860 although the tower was left as a harness room. The tower was restored in 1971 and 2002.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Tower house
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Building [10] · Vicar's Pele Tower [5] Other Photos: · Supermarket doors, Main Street, Ponteland Title Clusters: · Vicar's Pele Tower, Ponteland [2] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NZ1672, 136 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Andrew Curtis   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 24 September, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 25 September, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1647 7283 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:2.9819N 1:44.6252W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1648 7280
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 225 times
You are not logged in login | register