J2128 : St. John's Church of Ireland, Hilltown

taken 11 years ago, near to Bannvale and Hilltown, Northern Ireland

St. John's Church of Ireland, Hilltown
St. John's Church of Ireland, Hilltown
The planning & building of this church started in 1767 with an advertisement in the Belfast Newsletter asking for tenders for carpenters and masons. The Rev William Lucas, vicar of Newry, organised the work but it was paid for by the Marquis of Downshire for his own and his guests use. There were only 2 houses in the town at that time. It was consecrated & opened for worship 7 Aug 1771 by the Bishop of Dromore. The architect was Charles Lilley. Rev. William Lucas remained as vicar. It was repaired in 1836 at a cost of 220. The interior is Roman Doric. The average attendance in 1836 was 100 people when the poor box weekly yield was 3 shillings. The rector in 1857 was Rev. Robert Alexander Parks & Rev. John Bingham 1892-1907. The church closed in 1983 due to a dwindling congregation.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright P Flannagan and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J2128, 154 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 12 February, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 25 September, 2010
Category
Church (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 211 289 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:11.6916N 6:8.6637W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 211 289
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 177 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register