TQ3180 : Blackfriars Railway Bridges

taken 10 years ago, near to City of London, Great Britain

Blackfriars Railway Bridges
Blackfriars Railway Bridges
There have been two structures with the name. The first bridge was opened in 1864 and was designed by Joseph Cubitt for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. Massive abutments at each end carried the railway's insignia, preserved and restored on the south side. It eventually became too weak to support modern trains, and was removed in 1985 - all that remains is a series of columns crossing the Thames and the southern abutment, which is a Grade II listed structure LinkExternal link . The remaining bridge, built slightly further downstream (to the east), was originally called St Paul's Railway Bridge and opened in 1886. It was designed by John Wolfe-Barry and Henry Marc Brunel and is made of wrought iron.

See other images of Blackfriars Railway Bridge
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3180, 3087 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 25 August, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 2 October, 2010
Category
Railway bridge (remains of)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 317 806 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:30.5604N 0:6.1836W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 317 805
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 83 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register