TF7312 : Waterwheel of Narborough Bone Mill

taken 11 years ago, near to Pentney, Norfolk, Great Britain

Waterwheel of Narborough Bone Mill
Waterwheel of Narborough Bone Mill
Narborough Bone Mill was built in the early 19th century and raw materials as well as its finished products were carried by horse drawn barge. The mill processed bones from local slaughterhouses, Kings Lynn's whaling industry and Hamburg's cemeteries into agricultural fertilizer and probably ceased production a few years after the Nar Valley Drainage Board purchased the navigation rights and subsequently built a sluice that prevented further river traffic around 1884. The cast iron waterwheel is all that remains. The Nar Valley Way leads past here.

The Nar Valley Way long distance footpath is 34 miles long and runs from King's Lynn to Gressenhall. It is contained almost entirely within the watershed of the River Nar. The Nar Valley Way links with other long distance routes such as the Wash Coast Path at King's Lynn and the Peddars' Way at Castle Acre.

The River Nar is a tributary of the River Great Ouse. It rises near Litcham > Link and flows 15 miles west through the villages of Castle Acre > Link and Narborough > Link. When in the mid 18th century the Industrial Revolution gathered pace the River Nar was already a major navigation. At that time it was owned by the Marriott family, Lords of the Manor from 1857 - 1875, and used to bring in timber, coal, grain, malt and bones from Kings Lynn by horse drawn lighters or barges, carrying up to 10 tons. Return cargoes included sand and gravel from Pentney pits and bonemeal fertilizer from Narborough Bone Mill. The river was canalised to connect the village of Narborough to King's Lynn and beyond: the Nar system included one pound-lock, and ten staunches were built in the five miles below the village. Navigation to Narborough ended in 1884, although steam tugs and barges still used the lowest reaches of the river until well into the 20th century, notably those of the West Norfolk Farmers Manure Company which brought ammonia-rich gas water to their factory from Cambridge gasworks until 1932.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF7312, 24 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 10 October, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 13 October, 2010
Category
Watermill   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 731 124 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:40.9299N 0:33.5924E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 731 124
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 298 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register