2010

TQ1649 : St Martinís Church, Dorking

taken 13 years ago, near to Dorking, Surrey, England

St Martinís Church, Dorking
St Martinís Church, Dorking
There is a church in the Manor of Dorking mentioned in the Domesday Book but the present church, St Martins was built between 1866 and1874, designed by the Surrey architect Henry Woodyer. The spire of St Martins forms a landmark that can be seen from far and wide. The Foundation stone to the tower was laid in 1873 by Dr Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Winchester who unfortunately died two months later when he fell from a horse. The tower and spire were built as the Wilberforce Memorial. The top stone was put in place on 25 April 1877. The height to the top of the weathervane (a Dorking cockerel) is 210 feet.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Rogerson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · St Martin [127] · Church St [59] · Spire [28] Other Photos: · The Vicarage, Westcott Road ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TQ1649, 805 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Richard Rogerson   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 12 September, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 13 October, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 165 494 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:13.9623N 0:19.9310W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 165 494
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 295 times
You are not logged in login | register