TL5480 : Ely Cathedral - St Edmund's chapel (wall paintings)

taken 14 years ago, near to Ely, Cambridgeshire, England

Ely Cathedral - St Edmund's chapel (wall paintings)
Ely Cathedral - St Edmund's chapel (wall paintings)
The wall paintings in St Edmund's chapel date from the 13th - 14th century and depict scenes from the life of the saint. Below the panels the walls were painted to imitate textile wall hangings. In 915 St Edmund's body was buried at Bedricsworth in Suffolk, which was renamed Bury St Edmunds. Edmund was once a candidate to be the patron saint of England.
Ely Cathedral

Ely Cathedral > Link is believed to originate from an old church which was restored by Etheldreda, queen, foundress and abbess of Ely. She was the daughter of Anna, king of East Anglia and can often be found depicted on East Anglian rood screens. In 673 she founded a monastery in Ely, the site of which was where Ely cathedral now stands. The monastery flourished but was eventually destroyed by the Danes and refounded as a Benedictine community in 970. Etheldreda died around 680 and was buried in Ely where her shrine was the focus for a vast number of medieval pilgrims. Work on the cathedral as it stands today began in the 11th century under the leadership of Abbot Simeon, and the monastic church became a cathedral in 1109. The oldest parts of the cathedral still standing are the south and north transepts which date from around 1090. Both have C15 hammerbeam roofs adorned with carved angels. The west tower was extended in the 14th century and the octagonal lantern above the crossing was built by Alan of Walsingham after the Norman central tower had collapsed in 1322. The monastery at Ely was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539 and St Etheldreda's shrine was destroyed. The first major restoration took place in the 18th century and a second restoration project began in 1839 under the then Dean George Peacock and architect Sir George Gilbert Scott. A third major restoration project - the most expensive to date - was begun in 1986 and completed in the year 2000. The cathedral is 161 metres long and nave and aisles are 24 metres wide. The Octagon lantern tower is situated 43 metres above the floor. The total area of the cathedral covers 4273 square metres. The cathedral's stained glass windows date from the Victorian restoration.

A Stained Glass Museum is situated in the south triforium gallery. It is the only museum in England dedicated to stained glass.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Ely Cathedral [997] · David [20] Title Clusters: · Ely Cathedral - St Edmund's chapel (wall paintings) [2] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TL5480, 1360 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Evelyn Simak   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 19 November, 2010   (more nearby)
Saturday, 20 November, 2010
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 5414 8029 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:23.9354N 0:15.8481E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 5410 8029
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Clickable map
W Go E
Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 257 times
You are not logged in login | register