SC4384 : Christchurch, Laxey
taken 49 years ago, near to Laxey, Isle of Man
The population of Laxey increased considerably with the development of the mines in the late 1840's but the nearest church was some 3 miles away.
Christchurch was built to the design of Ewan Christian on land donated by G.W.Dumbell on a hill besides the new road from Douglas to Laxey. It was constructed by his Mining Company at a cost of £950 and was consecrated on 27th May 1856.
The design is described as 'early English' without any great ornamentation.
Lonan Parish Churches
This page has been viewed