NS4076 : The Bennett Memorials

taken 11 years ago, near to Bellsmyre, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

The Bennett Memorials
The Bennett Memorials
The two large memorials shown here commemorate the brothers Thomas and Samuel Bennett (on the left and the right, respectively). The first part of the inscription on the front of Samuel Bennett's memorial reads:

"In memory of Samuel Bennett, newspaper proprietor and editor, Provost of Dumbarton, 1871-1876, born at Saltcoats 12th August 1815, died at Dumbarton 30th October 1876."

The text to either side commemorates his wife Matilda, who died on the 17th of May, 1895, aged 74, their son William Henry, and their second daughter Mary Maria, who died at Coleraine, aged 75. (Also mentioned are a certain Oswald Lawson and his wife Sophia Bennett; the monument does not spell out the family relationships, but Sophia was another daughter of Samuel and Matilda.)

Further information on Samuel Bennett can be found on pages 1 and 3 of "Lennox Herald 150 Years" (2001; by Mike Taylor, edited by Grace Walker). It may be noted here that in 1851 he founded a newspaper, the Dumbarton Herald (which ceased publication in 1933), and, in 1861, another, the Saturday Dumbarton Herald, which was soon retitled the Lennox Herald, and which is published to this day.

Projects he was involved in included NS4477 : The Black Linn Reservoir scheme, and the creation of a pier at the foot of Dumbarton Castle (that pier, which opened in May 1875 its construction began on the 2nd of May 1874 was seriously damaged by a storm in 1900). When he was elected Provost, Samuel passed editorial control of his newspapers to his brother Thomas.

As recorded on his memorial, Thomas was born at Saltcoats on the 12th of January, 1828, and died at Dumbarton on the 28th of May, 1880. The monument also commemorates his wife Mary Langlands, who was born in Dundee on the 12th of May, 1849, and died at Dumbarton on the 24th of January, 1921(?). Like his brother, Thomas actively promoted social improvement.
Dumbarton Cemetery

The cemetery was formally opened on the 4th of October, 1854, replacing the overcrowded parish churchyard. See the Geograph article "Dumbarton Cemetery" Link for a detailed discussion. For biographies of many of those buried here, and for descriptions of their memorials, see Donald MacLeod's "The God's Acres of Dumbarton" (1888), and the same author's "Dumbarton: Its Recent Men and Events" (1898). By 2010, there was concern that Dumbarton Cemetery would run out of space within a decade; New Dumbarton Cemetery Link was subsequently created uphill from the existing cemetery, and opened at the end of December 2015.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4076, 145 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 2 April, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 12 February, 2011
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Category
Memorial > Memorial   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4092 7613 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.1070N 4:32.9591W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4092 7612
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial  Dumbarton Cemetery 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 659 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register