TG2936 : The old tuberculosis hospital in Mundesley
taken 13 years ago, near to Gimingham, Norfolk, England
The centre was hailed as Europe's largest drug and alcohol clinic when it was set up in the historic former tuberculosis hospital in 1997 but administrators were called in during summer 2008 and the clinic was closed in 2009. Built in 1898/9 by the firm of Boulton and Paul of Norwich and opened in 1899 as a sanatorium for well-off patients, this was one of the first private hospitals of this kind to be built in England. The complex is a rare surviving example of a timber-framed prefabricated hospital building > Link. For information about Boulton & Paul go to Link.
The hospital was transferred to the NHS in 1957 and gradually fell into disrepair. After being purchased by Adapt Ltd in the 1990s, the complex underwent a major refurbishment and was used as a drug and alcohol rehabilitation unit that was re-named the "Diana, Princess of Wales Treatment Centre" shortly before re-opening.
Modelled on similar hospitals in Germany and Switzerland, where open-air treatment had been pioneered, a number of wooden huts > Link were set up in the hospital grounds, some of which can still be seen, each adjoined by their own tiny wooden toilet hut > Link built in a similar style. Here patients could spend time in the open air sheltered from the elements.
- Grid Square
- TG2936, 50 images (more nearby 🔍)
- Evelyn Simak (more nearby)
- Date Taken
- Saturday, 5 March, 2011 (more nearby)
- Saturday, 5 March, 2011
- Subject Location
OSGB36: TG 296 365 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:52.6158N 1:24.6412E
- Camera Location
- OSGB36: TG 296 364
- View Direction
- NORTH (about 0 degrees)