TQ2752 : Gatton Hall and Church

taken 9 years ago, near to Merstham, Surrey, Great Britain

Gatton Hall and Church
Gatton Hall and Church
Gatton Hall was originally built by the Fifth Baron Monson between 1830 and 1841. It was later extended in 1891 by Sir Jeremiah Colman (of mustard fame, who had bought the estate in 1888), who added a large Corinthian portico on the north side. However, the house was largely destroyed by fire in 1934 with only the portico surviving. The current building is a neo-Georgian rebuild.

Since 1948 it has formed part of the Royal Alexandra & Albert School, a voluntary aided boarding and day school.

The building is grade II listed (primarily for the portico, not seen here) - for listing particulars see LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link ) .

In the background on the right is the spire of St Andrew's Church - see TQ2752 : St Andrew's Church, Gatton.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ian Capper and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ2752, 101 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 6 March, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 14 March, 2011
Category
Mansion   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 275 528 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:15.6070N 0:10.4302W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 275 525
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 135 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register