NT2573 : Edinburgh Cityscape

taken 10 years ago, near to Edinburgh, Great Britain

This is 1 of 4 images, with title Edinburgh Cityscape in this square
Edinburgh Cityscape
Edinburgh Cityscape
Visible are the Scott Monument, National Academy, National Gallery, Princes Street Gardens and The New Town.
Princes Street Gardens

Along with Waverley Station, the Princes Street Gardens are located in the steep, narrow valley between the medieval Old Town and the 18th century New Town.

This valley was formerly filled by a freshwater loch called the Nor Loch which became badly polluted by sewage and household waste as the Old Town became more crowded during the Middle Ages. During the construction of the New Town, the Nor Loch was drained and the area was converted into private gardens for Princes Street residents until the city purchased them and opened them to the public in 1876 with the name Princes Street Gardens.

The Scott Monument

A Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott (author of the Waverley novels). It stands in Princes Street Gardens, opposite Jenners department store on Princes Street, near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station. The tower is 200 feet 6 inches high and has a series of viewing decks which give panoramic views of central Edinburgh and its surroundings.

The monument is a Category A listed building (LB27829 LinkExternal link Historic Environment Scotland).

National Gallery of Scotland

The National Gallery of Scotland was designed by William Henry Playfair and opened to the public in 1859.
It is Grade A listed. LinkExternal link
Website: LinkExternal link

Royal Scottish Academy

The Royal Scottish Academy (RSA) is Scotlandís premier organisation promoting contemporary Scottish art. Founded in 1826, the RSA maintains a unique position in Scotland as an independently funded institution led by eminent artists and architects whose purpose is to promote and support the creation, understanding and enjoyment of the visual arts through exhibitions and related educational events.
Grade A listed. LinkExternal link
Website: LinkExternal link

Edinburgh (Georgian) New Town :: NT2574

The New Town in Edinburgh is considered to be a masterpiece of city planning. It was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995. It was built in stages between 1765 and around 1850, and retains much of the original neo-classical period architecture. The area combines gridiron roads with sweeping crescents and circuses. Many of the buildings are Category A listed. For a map of listed buildings see LinkExternal link
Wikipedia: LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT2573, 5777 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 22 February, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 24 March, 2011
Category
Cityscape   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 255 738 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.0966N 3:11.6766W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 251 735
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 95 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register