SJ9223 : Shire Hall, Market Square, Stafford

taken 9 years ago, near to Stafford, Staffordshire, Great Britain

Shire Hall, Market Square, Stafford
Shire Hall, Market Square, Stafford
A weekly market has been held in Stafford since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market opened behind the new Guildhall, but some stalls continued to trade from the Market Square.

On the right is the Shire Hall. There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place for the County Court and later for other civic meetings. The present building, erected 1795 - 98, is the third of its kind on approximately the same site.

The Shire Hall was vacated by the Crown Court in 1991 and the hall was restored for use as an art gallery. The rear of the building is now the public library, which moved from The Green in 1999.

LinkExternal link Staffordshire Past Track
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ9223, 419 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 12 April, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 16 April, 2011
Category
Buildings > Shire Hall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9221 2330 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:48.4316N 2:7.0201W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9218 2327
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 47 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register