SK9226 : Old Easton Hall

taken 11 years ago, near to Easton, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Old Easton Hall
Old Easton Hall
All that remains of Easton Hall is the Gate House, stables and this limestone wall which once supported the ground floor of the Hall. The large square bay was the verandah in front of a conservatory room with a wall of full height windows. The outlook from this vantage point was across the terraces, the orchard, vegetable gardens and the park. See SK9226 : Easton Walled Gardens for the view today and compare with the early 20th Century photograph taken from roughly the same spot, on the History page under the Garden Tour menu here LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
Background to Easton Walled Gardens

There had been a country estate at Easton since at least 1592 when Sir Henry Cholmeley (1562-1620) moved to Lincolnshire and bought the Manor of Easton. The Elizabethan house was built on a site overlooking the River Witham and, although much altered and enlarged over the years, the essential elements of the house are believed to have survived until the beginning of the 19th Century.

During the early Victorian period rebuilding and modernisation by Sir Montague Cholmeley, second baronet (1802-1874) brought the house up to date. The Hall was described in 1872 as “large and handsome, with elegantly furnished apartments, containing many valuable paintings and other works of art.”

At the start of the Second World War Easton Hall was requisitioned by the army and became home to units of the Royal Artillery and of the 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment for four years. As happened to many similar properties requisitioned across Britain, it suffered considerable damage both to the fabric of the building and to the remaining contents, to the extent that live rounds were let off inside the house and grenades were lobbed into the greenhouses as part of combat training.

After the house was handed back to the Cholmeley family it was never lived in as a family home again. After the lead was stolen from the roof, causing major deterioration of the fabric, the house was demolished in 1951 leaving only the Gate House and stables standing. The gardens, dating back to at least the mid 16th Century, were abandoned and by 1990 the roofs on the remaining buildings had fallen in. By 2000 the site of the house and gardens had become more of a woodland than garden with brambles, elder and sycamore completely obliterating the garden plan.

The revival of this "lost" garden has been spearheaded by Ursula Cholmeley and, in late 2001, 18 months of work to clear the site was begun. Tonnes of rubble and felled trees have been removed, the terraces restored, the Gate House and other associated buildings renovated and the greenhouses reinstated but, although the garden is open to the public and is a lovely place to visit, reconstruction work is expected to continue well into the 21st Century.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Kate Jewell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK9226, 113 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 2 May, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 6 May, 2011
Category
Ruins > Ruins   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9273 2666 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:49.7698N 0:37.5066W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9273 2661
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 271 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register