SK9226 : Wild flower terraces, Easton Walled Gardens

taken 11 years ago, near to Easton, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Wild flower terraces, Easton Walled Gardens
Wild flower terraces, Easton Walled Gardens
Looking across the original formal garden towards the site of the old Hall. The Gate House, the only remaining major part of the original complex is to the far left. When the restoration of the gardens was initiated in 2001 these terraces where covered in dense woodland, the result of 50 years of neglect. The impoverished soil with its limestone foundation is ideal for encouraging wild flower species and these are being encouraged by careful management of the grassland. Note the patches of cowslips on the slopes.
Background to Easton Walled Gardens

There had been a country estate at Easton since at least 1592 when Sir Henry Cholmeley (1562-1620) moved to Lincolnshire and bought the Manor of Easton. The Elizabethan house was built on a site overlooking the River Witham and, although much altered and enlarged over the years, the essential elements of the house are believed to have survived until the beginning of the 19th Century.

During the early Victorian period rebuilding and modernisation by Sir Montague Cholmeley, second baronet (1802-1874) brought the house up to date. The Hall was described in 1872 as “large and handsome, with elegantly furnished apartments, containing many valuable paintings and other works of art.”

At the start of the Second World War Easton Hall was requisitioned by the army and became home to units of the Royal Artillery and of the 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment for four years. As happened to many similar properties requisitioned across Britain, it suffered considerable damage both to the fabric of the building and to the remaining contents, to the extent that live rounds were let off inside the house and grenades were lobbed into the greenhouses as part of combat training.

After the house was handed back to the Cholmeley family it was never lived in as a family home again. After the lead was stolen from the roof, causing major deterioration of the fabric, the house was demolished in 1951 leaving only the Gate House and stables standing. The gardens, dating back to at least the mid 16th Century, were abandoned and by 1990 the roofs on the remaining buildings had fallen in. By 2000 the site of the house and gardens had become more of a woodland than garden with brambles, elder and sycamore completely obliterating the garden plan.

The revival of this "lost" garden has been spearheaded by Ursula Cholmeley and, in late 2001, 18 months of work to clear the site was begun. Tonnes of rubble and felled trees have been removed, the terraces restored, the Gate House and other associated buildings renovated and the greenhouses reinstated but, although the garden is open to the public and is a lovely place to visit, reconstruction work is expected to continue well into the 21st Century.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Kate Jewell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK9226, 113 images   (more nearby search)
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 2 May, 2011   (more nearby)
Sunday, 8 May, 2011
Gardens > Gardens   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 927 266 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:49.7647N 0:37.5335W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 926 266
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 129 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
thumbs up icon
You are not logged in login | register