J3373 : Great Victoria Street railway station

taken 44 years ago, near to Belfast County Borough, Shankill, Beal Feirste, Springfield and Ballymacarret, Northern Ireland

Great Victoria Street railway station
Great Victoria Street railway station
Once regarded as one of the finest Victorian buildings in Belfast, Great Victoria Street station opened in 1848, with many improvements later added by the GNR(I). Much of the station was demolished in 1968 to make way for the Europa Hotel, with this sad rump surviving until the station closed in 1976 as part of the central line project. Although the GNR building was later demolished, trains returned to a new Great Victoria Street station in September 1995.

For an interior view, see J3373 : Great Victoria Street railway station - interior
Great Victoria Street railway station – Belfast

The Ulster Railway Company opened its railway line from Belfast (Glengall Place) to Lisburn in 1839. Designed by John Godwin, the imposing Great Victoria Street station opened in 1849 – Glengall Place and Glengall Street having been renamed at some stage in a fit of patriotic fervour. After the Ulster Railway became part of the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) empire in 1876, some alterations were made to the terminal building including construction of an imposing porte-cochère. Many, including Sir John Betjeman, regarded the building as one of the finest examples of Victorian railway station architecture to be found in the British Isles.

At its height in the years before World War 1, trains left Great Victoria Street for Londonderry (Foyle Road), Enniskillen, Cavan, Bundoran, Warrenpoint, Newcastle, Antrim and Dublin. However, by 1965, services operated only to Lisburn, Portadown and Dublin.

A substantial part of the building was demolished in 1968 to make way for the Europa Hotel. What survived, including the platforms and railway related structures, disappeared following closure of the station on 24 April 1976. Subsequently, the Europa bus station and “skyscraper” office blocks were constructed on the site.

Fortunately, the hideous transport policies of the 1960s and 1970s were eventually recognised as utter folly. Despite initial opposition from Government and another transport provider, Northern Ireland Railways persisted with its plans for reinstatement of a railway line to Great Victoria Street. Designed by Robinson & McIlwain, a new Great Victoria Street station opened for business on 30 September 1995.

This Shared Description covers the area from Central Junction to Great Victoria Street station. For views on the Belfast Central lines, see: Link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright The Carlisle Kid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3373, 2751 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
March 1976   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 17 May, 2011
Geographical Context
Railways 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 3356 7380 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:35.6874N 5:56.0628W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 3356 7380
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Great Victoria Street 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 1302 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register