SH7683 : Feral Goats at St Tudno's Churchyard

taken 8 years ago, near to Gogarth, Conwy, Great Britain

Feral Goats at St Tudno's Churchyard
Feral Goats at St Tudno's Churchyard
For many years, the churchyard, within the boundary wall surrounding SH7683 : The Church of St Tudno, was the main burial place for the people of Llandudno, whose coffins and gravestones had to be brought up the steep roads of the Great Orme. The earliest inscribed stones date from the eighteenth century and are found close to the south wall of the church. St Tudno's churchyard has been closed for burials for many years.

The feral or wild goats with their white, shaggy coats and impressive horns are Kashmir goats. The herd descended from a pair of goats from the Windsor Royal Herd, acquired by Major General Sir Savage Mostyn around 1880. The herd was released on the Great Orme 20 years later and the goats have been roaming wild ever since.

(for more information on the Great Orme goat herd, see LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link ) )
Eglwys Sant Tudno (St Tudno's Church)
The ancient Church of St Tudno on the Great Orme was the original church of Llandudno, from which the town takes its name. St. Tudno is now the patron saint of Llandudno and his feast day is celebrated on 5th June.

Tudno came to the ancient rock of the Great Orme and climbed the steep paths of the windswept headland to bring the message of Christianity to the little round stone huts.

Nothing remains of Saint Tudno's the original church but it is likely to have been a small wooden building. The present church was built in stone in the twelfth century and enlarged to its present size in the fifteenth century. In 1839 the roof was damaged by a severe storm and it was decided not to repair the church but to build a new church (SH7882 : Holy Trinity Church) nearer to the centre of what was then the village of Llandudno. Restoration was undertaken in 1855, paid for by WH Reece of Birmingham as a thanks offering for his daughter recovering her health whilst staying in Llandudno.

(Information compiled from various leaflets available from the church)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SH7683, 322 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 21 May, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 25 May, 2011
Geographical Context
Coastal  Religious sites 
Category
Churchyard   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 7699 8380 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:20.2056N 3:50.9314W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 7699 8379
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Headland  Graveyard  Gravestones  Churchyard  Feral Goats 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 122 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register