SC3676 : Kirk Braddan Old Church
taken 18 years ago, near to Union Mills, Isle of Man
Kirk Braddan Old Church
The mother church of Douglas set in a beautiful wooded valley by the River Dhoo. The churchyard is full of Georgian head-stones and dominated by an obelisk designed by Steuart to Lord Henry Murray. Tower, 1773. Interior high pews, galleries, clear glass and monuments on walls. [JB]
Built 1773 following presentations that the roof and gable of the previous church were unsafe and also after complaints that the previous church was too small. The received wisdom is that the old church was demolished and the new built from the reclaimed rubble though with quoins of Foxdale granite. However recent surveys by Mr F. Cowin have convinced him that although the east end was demolished and rebuilt and the tower added, the remaining walls are mostly the original dating from the twelfth century. Following the precedent of St Marks (b 1772) the four corners were marked by pinnacles. Unlike many other island churches it was probably never whitewashed.
This page has been viewed