SE0210 : Standedge Tunnel - "The Cathedral"

taken 38 years ago, near to Bleak Hey Nook, Oldham, Great Britain

Standedge Tunnel - "The Cathedral"
Standedge Tunnel - "The Cathedral"
The first, single track railway tunnel under Standedge was completed in 1849 with a length of 3m 64 yds. A second, single track bore of identical proportions was completed in 1871. Excavation of the second tunnel was in part by means of cross headings from the first and, at the midpoint, the two bores were connected by a full size cross heading whose vaulted architecture led to it being dubbed "The Cathedral". A third, double track bore was completed alongside in 1894. The two original tunnels were closed on 31 October 1966; the double track tunnel remains in use. This picture involved a one-and-a-half mile trek underground. Picture taken some time around 1982.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bill Blair and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE0210, 65 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
1982   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 20 September, 2006
Category
Railway tunnel   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 026 102 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:35.3026N 1:57.7317W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 847 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register