SE0925 : Plaque by The Piece Hall south entrance - east side

taken 8 years ago, near to Halifax, Calderdale, Great Britain

Plaque by The Piece Hall south entrance - east side
Plaque by The Piece Hall south entrance - east side
The south entrance to The Piece Hall was widened in 1871 and this plaque was erected at that time to record the building's history. It reads:
A D 1779
THIS HALL WAS ORIGINALLY BUILT
BY SUBSCRIPTION AND OPENED BY
THE MANUFACTURERS OF THIS
PARISH AS
THE PIECE HALL
FOR THE SALE OF WOOLLEN
AND WORSTED GOODS
ON THE 1st JANUARY 1779
AND TRANSFERRED TO
THE CORPORATION OF HALIFAX
BY SIR JOHN THOMAS SELWIN Bart.
AND
HENRY JOHN SELWIN IBBERTSON ESQ.M.P.
AND THEIR LESSEES
ON THE 6th OCTr 1868
AS PART OF THE MARKET ESTATES
OF THE CORPORATION UNDER THE
HALIFAX IMPROVEMENT ACT 1868
THOMAS SHAW
MAYOR
J E NORRIS
TOWN CLERK
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John S Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE0925, 1021 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 10 June, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 25 June, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Public buildings and spaces  Business, Retail, Services  City, Town centre 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 0955 2503 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:43.2955N 1:51.4053W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 0955 2503
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 44 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register