2010

TL1431 : St. Mary's Church, Pirton

taken 14 years ago, near to Pirton, Hertfordshire, England

St. Mary's Church, Pirton
St. Mary's Church, Pirton
The 12th century church had to be extensively rebuilt between 1876 and 1883. Funds had been raised to restore the tower in 1876 but inspection revealed that, although the upper part of the tower was relatively sound, the lower part was in extremely poor condition and was condemned as being beyond repair. The new tower was opened in 1877. During the dismantling of the tower, it was noted that the roof of the nave was also in poor condition and a 'Twenty thousand shilling' restoration appeal was launched by the vicar's wife, Mrs Loughborough. It was not until 1882 that a start was made on rebuilding the nave and it was completed in the following year.

The Lawson Thompson Scrapbook in Hitchin Museum has a photograph taken on 12th July 1876, showing the tower corner-stone laying ceremony with the tower completely dismantled. My photograph, by coincidence, was taken only a day away from the 144th anniversary of the ceremony.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John Lucas and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · St Mary [16] · Tower was Rebuilt [6] Other Photos: · Pirton Graveyard ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TL1431, 56 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
John Lucas   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 11 July, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 20 July, 2011
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 1470 3167 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:58.3005N 0:19.9005W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 1471 3170
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 145 times
You are not logged in login | register