TF1177 : St Georges Church, Goltho

taken 7 years ago, near to Rand, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St Georges Church, Goltho
St Georges Church, Goltho
St Georges church, Goltho
This is the site of the Deserted Medieval Village known as Goltho. Archaeological evidence shows this area was first occupied during the Roman period. People settled here again in the Anglo-Saxon period and by the 12th century a thriving village was firmly established, growing to 37 crofts occupied by mud and stud houses, with metalled roads, drainage ditches and a blacksmith’s shop. By the beginning of the 15th century, however, much of the site had been abandoned.
This internationally famous site was partially excavated in the 1970’s, when work focussed on both the village and the manor site.

St George’s is the only surviving building on the site. There is archaeological evidence of an earlier substantial stone built church underneath the one that stands here today. Remains of tombstones inset in the floor indicate that there was a chapel on the site by the mid 13th century. The nave probably dates from the 16th century with an 18th century chancel, and its bellcote is Victorian By 1900 the church was converted to use only as a mortuary chapel.
Today, St George’s is looked after by the Churches Conservation Trust.

Update: Sadly, the church was gutted by fire on 21st October 2013. Its future is uncertain.

See other images of St Georges Church, Goltho
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF1177, 59 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 7 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 8 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Religious sites  Derelict, Disused 
Church (from Tags)
St Georges 
Place (from Tags)
Goltho 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1162 7749 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:16.9585N 0:19.6355W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1158 7747
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for TF1177)
This page has been viewed about 779 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register