SP2772 : View from Kenilworth Castle

taken 7 years ago, near to Kenilworth, Warwickshire, Great Britain

View from Kenilworth Castle
View from Kenilworth Castle
Looking to the west from Kenilworth Castle.

Between the 13th and 17th centuries, the countryside in the middle distance was flooded by a large artificial lake known as the mere.

The full extent of the mere was established by King John strengthened the castles defences by enlarging the "watery mere" surrounding it. By increasing the height of an earlier causeway, he provided not only a new entrance to the castle but also the largest man-made water defences in Britain.

As well as a means of defence, the mere also provided a source of food (especially fish and wildfowl) for the castle.

Later, the scenic and recreational aspects of the lake became more appreciated, and both John of Gaunt (14th century) and Robert Dudley (16th century) designed their buildings to make full use of the views across it.
Kenilworth Castle
Kenilworth Castle is one of Britainís largest and most impressive historic sites. It began as a mediaeval fortress and became an Elizabethan Palace.

Geoffrey de Clinton began the massive Norman keep at the core of the fortress in the 1120s, and under Henry II Kenilworth became a royal castle. King John greatly strengthened it between 1210 and 1215, enlarging the surrounding watery 'mere' which effectively made it an island stronghold. Thus it could withstand an epic siege in 1266, when rebellious barons held out against Henry III's siege engines for six months, succumbing only to starvation.

During the late 14th century John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, rebuilt the splendid great hall and staterooms of Kenilworth's inner court, beginning the castle's transition into a palace and favourite residence of the Lancastrian and early Tudor kings.

However, the castle is probably best known as the home of Robert Dudley, the great love of Queen Elizabeth I. Dudley, Earl of Leicester, took possession of the castle in 1563. He then lavished fortunes on converting it into a great Renaissance 'prodigy house', designed to receive the queen and her close servants on her visits to Kenilworth in 1572 and 1575 during their ceremonial 'progresses' around her realm.

LinkExternal link - History of Kenilworth Castle (English Heritage)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP2772, 295 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 7 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 12 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 275 721 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:20.8256N 1:35.8019W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 277 722
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 80 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register