NR3141 : Ruins of Cill Choman, Islay

taken 7 years ago, near to Ineraval, Argyll And Bute, Great Britain

Ruins of Cill Choman, Islay
Ruins of Cill Choman, Islay
All that now remains of an ancient chapel/monastery. The last visit by RCAHMS appears to be 1981 and there is even less remaining now.

Information from LinkExternal link

Merest indications of the chapel walls appears above the turf. It has measured about 18ft by 8ft and stands in an enclosure about 60ft by 30ft.
R C Graham 1895.

The name of this chapel was first collected as "Cill a' Chobhain" and later changed to the published version. It may therefore be the "Kilachoan" planned by Mrs Lucy Ramsay before 1890 (Celoria 1959); and also the Kilchoan mentioned by Watson (1926) as deriving from Cill Chomtighain, the church of St Comgan, possibly an 8th century saint. There is a local tradition that it was a monastery (Celoria 1960).
Name Book 1878; F Celoria 1959; 1960; W J Watson 1926; F Gold 1961.

NR 3147 4115 The remains of a chapel measuring 9m north west-south east by 6m over walling 1m high and 1.5m wide is situated within a rectangular burial ground 25m by 10m. There is a probable entrance 0.6m wide in the north east side of the chapel.
Surveyed at 1:10000.
Visited by OS (BS) 3 June 1978.

This chapel is situated on a south-facing hillside some 300m w of the boat-landing at Port Asabuis and at an elevation of 65m OD. Much of the surrounding land shows traces of rig-cultivation, and the remains of a small settlement are
identifiable some 75m to the W, The chapel measures 6.3m from E to W by 3.1m transversely within walls about 1m in thickness which, although heather-grown, stand to a height of about 0.9m. Much of the masonry-facing survives, but there are no identifiable traces of mortar. The apparent narrowness of the entrance, which is placed towards the middle of the N wall, may be the result of tumbled masonry.
The building stands within a subrectangular enclosure measuring about 24m from E to why 11m, which appears to
have been subdivided by slighter walls in line with the E wall of the chapel. The boundary-wall is preserved in places to a height of 0.8m and displays several stretches of masonry facework. At the E end of the site, where the wall ran along
the edge of a rocky scarp, it was supported by substantial stone revetments.
The dedication of the chapel was probably to St Comgan. (Watson 1926)
Visited March 1981
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Becky Williamson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NR3141, 5 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 23 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 24 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Ruin (from Tags)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NR 3146 4114 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:35.3770N 6:15.8138W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NR 3146 4113
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 33 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register