NC4459 : Ard Neackie and pier

taken 7 years ago, near to Heilam, Highland, Great Britain

Ard Neackie and pier
Ard Neackie and pier
Ard Neakie was used as the eastern terminus of the Heilam Ferry, which crossed the loch to the Heilam Inn on the west bank of the loch at Portnancon. The ferry ceased operation in the 1890s when the road around the loch was completed, but the ferry house built in 1831 still stands, though sadly increasingly derelict. Ard Neakie is also notable for the four large lime kilns built in 1870. The Reay estate produced large amounts of lime here and on the nearby island of Eilean Choraidh and loaded it into ships.

Almost an island, Ard Neackie is linked to the mainland by a tombolo.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bob Jones and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NC4459, 26 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 May, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 25 August, 2011
Category
Coastal feature   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NC 4466 5963 [10m precision]
WGS84: 58:29.8250N 4:40.0269W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NC 4522 5995
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 122 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register