SU3687 : Coat of Arms, St Mary’s Church, Childrey

taken 7 years ago, near to Childrey, Oxfordshire, Great Britain

Coat of Arms, St Mary’s Church, Childrey
Coat of Arms, St Mary’s Church, Childrey
The coat of arms is in the name of George III of the House of Hanover. Unlike his two Hanoverian predecessors he was British-born, had English as his first language and never went to Hanover notwithstanding that he was King of Hanover for six years. He reigned in this country between 1760 and 1820 when he died. Unfortunately he suffered from porphyria which led people to assume he was mad. It was on his watch that America gained independence. Since writing the above Rob Farrow has pointed out that the coat of arms is not all that it appears. Rob states:

"1st quarter should be halved England (lions) with Scotland (lion rampant) as opposed to just England, 2nd quarter should be the three fleur-de-lys of France as opposed to Scotland's lion rampant, 4th quarter should be the mess that represented Hanover rather than a repeat of England's lions. The coat of arms didn't become the Royal coat of arms until Queen Victoria's accession in 1837, 17 years after George III's demise. He did change his arms in 1801 and again in 1816 - but both of those versions had the Hanoverian arms as a whopping great central escutcheon." A genuine George III coat of arms can be seen here LinkExternal link
St Mary’s Church, Childrey
Written by Brian Robert Marshall
The church has been listed Grade I since 1966 LinkExternal link It has a 15th century tower although its origins are some 200 years earlier. There was an even earlier church hereabouts dating to 996 AD which was recorded in the Domesday Book but no trace remains. The nave is Norman but was rebuilt in the mid 15th century around the same time as the tower was built. The transepts were added in ca 1325. The church contains a number of floor- and wall-mounted brasses. There is also an ancient lead font which may date to as early as 1175. It features the embossed figures of twelve bishops dressed in chasubles. The single-handed clock on the tower dates to 1763 and until as recently as 1985 was wound manually every day. Mechanisation has taken over the task. There are memorials within to soldiers who died in the Great War including a brass plaque commemorating the Fallen who were members of the Old Berkshire Hunt. An unusual such memorial is a German-made cross that marked the grave of a British Officer born in Childrey who died in battle in France in 1914 and who was buried by his enemies. Another curiosity is the presence of ‘squints’, openings through the wall of a church in an oblique direction, to enable the worshippers in the transepts or other parts of the church, from which the altar was not visible, to see the elevation of the host. The squint in the north transept is set too high for this to be the case and its true purpose remains unclear.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Brian Robert Marshall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU3687, 101 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 25 August, 2011   (more nearby)
Friday, 26 August, 2011
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Coat of Arms   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 360 878 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:35.2746N 1:28.9063W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 360 878
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
George III 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 139 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register