TM3366 : Bruisyard Hall

taken 7 years ago, near to Bruisyard, Suffolk, Great Britain

This is 1 of 8 images, with title Bruisyard Hall in this square
Bruisyard Hall
Bruisyard Hall
The front entrance from the 1570s. The blocked windows are evident, high up which shows someone wanted some privacy. The coat of arms of the Roos family can be seen above the porch.
Please note the site is private without arrangement. Photography with permission.
Bruisyard Hall
The earliest occupation on this site, apart from possible Roman activity is the manor of Roke Hall. Theory suggests roof timbers in the kitchen are from this building. The hall was owned by Lionel, Duke of Clarence and was given to a group of priests to become a college in 1354. This venture converted to an Abbey under the Sisters of Poor Clare in 1364. These nuns were an enclosed group, three other locations existed. Saint Clare was a good friend of Saint Francis whose movement is more well known. LinkExternal link
Many ponds, earthworks and some flint masonry exist although further archaeological work is needed.
Henry VIII's dissolution in 1539 brought religious activities of the nuns to an end and the lands passed to Sir Nicholas Hare. The main part of the hall dates from the 1540s and 1570s; the abbey was converted (now the west wing) and extended onto. In 1748 Thomas Martin notes remains of a chapel on the eastern part of the building (confirmed by excavations).
Sir Michael Hare inherited the house in 1557, as a Catholic he was heavily fined and imprisoned. The fines show because instead of stone, brick is used on doors and windows. An interesting feature is the windows that are high up for privacy, a priests hole also exists. When Sir Michael Hare died he had no children so it passed on to the Rous family in 1611. Evidence shows the family had been involved since at least 1589. The hall was used as a farmhouse before being rented out and eventually it found itself in a poor state. Heritage grants provided money to reroof and replace windows (with English Oak). It was rented out for weekends and that's how it has been since the mid 1990s. Now the focus is on upgrading facilities for weddings and events. The barn in the grounds has been restored and the house is next. This year (2011) sees the 400th year in the Rous family.
Bruisyard hall is grade II* listed but the whole site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Please see LinkExternal link

Information sourced from Robert Rous.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ashley Dace and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM3366, 37 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Thursday, 8 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 3344 6612 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:14.6233N 1:25.0797E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 3342 6611
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 63 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register