TQ7568 : 3.7 Inch Heavy Anti-aircraft Gun, Fort Amherst

taken 7 years ago, near to Brompton, Medway, Great Britain

3.7 Inch Heavy Anti-aircraft Gun, Fort Amherst
3.7 Inch Heavy Anti-aircraft Gun, Fort Amherst
This gun and several other World War II relics are around a memorial garden in the Fort beside Khartoum Road.

Across the road is TQ7568 : Statue of Kitchener, Chatham.

Within the rosemary, is an information plaque which reads
'3.7 Inch Heavy Anti-aircraft Gun
the most advanced gun of its kind when it came into service in January 1938. It remained in use with the British Army The 3.7 Inch Heavy Anti-aircraft Gun was until 1957, when heavy static guns were replaced by modern missile systems. The gun was capable of firing a 28lb. shell some 32,000 feet in 50 seconds and required a crew of eight men.Supporting fire control, range and height detachments, were required to support a battery of four guns. The 3.7 came in mobile or static versions, the static version of the variety would have been mounted within a concrete emplacement as part of a four gun battery arrangement. Large numbers of these guns were deployed around the Medway Towns during the Second World War to protect the Royal Dockyard and other strategic targets.
The 3.7 Inch Heavy Anti-aircraft Gun was manufactured in 1943 by Vickers. After the war, it was sold in a batch to the Portuguese Government and deployed in Angola, seeing action in the civil war in that country. The gun was subsequently sold back to a British arms dealer and acquired and restored by Fort Amherst as part of its Second World War Memorial collection. It is now in the care of Medway Historical Ordnance.'
Fort Amherst
Fort Amherst was constructed as part of a line of gun batteries to protect Chathamís Royal Dockyard from a land-based attack; the fortifications stretched over 3 kilometres in length and totally enclosed the Dockyard and the village of Brompton. Fort Amherst was, and still is, the most intricate part of the area known as the Great Lines and many areas of the Fort have now been in part carefully restored.
This twenty acre Scheduled Ancient Monument consists of many gun batteries, many with cannon mounted, tunnels and grassy parkland. The parkland is free to visit (now called Great Lines Heritage Park) and is open every day, with easy access and free parking.
See LinkExternal link for more details.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Anstiss and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ7568, 447 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 9 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 7577 6836 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:23.2238N 0:31.4834E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 7577 6836
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 218 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register