TQ7407 : The De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill-on-Sea

taken 8 years ago, near to Bexhill, East Sussex, Great Britain

The De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill-on-Sea
The De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill-on-Sea
The De La Warr (pronounced Delaware) Pavilion is an International Style or Art Deco style building constructed in 1935 sometimes claimed to be the first major Modernist public building in Britain.

The new seafront building was the result of an architectural competition initiated by Herbrand Sackville, 9th Earl De La Warr, after whom the building was named. The Earl, a committed socialist and also Mayor of Bexhill, persuaded Bexhill council to develop the site as a public building. The competition was announced in the Architects Journal in February 1934, with a program that specified an entertainment hall to seat at least 1500 people; a 200-seat restaurant; a reading room; and a lounge. Initially, the budget for the project was limited to £50,000, later raised to £80,000. Run by the Royal Institute of British Architects, this competition attracted over 230 entrants, many of them practising in the Modernist style where 'shapes tend towards streamlined, industrially-influenced designs'. The architects selected for the project, Erich Mendelsohn and Serge Chermayeff, were leading figures in the Modern Movement. The aesthetics employed in the International Style proved especially suited to the building, tending towards streamlined, industrially-influenced designs, often with expansive metal-framed windows, and eschewing traditional brick and stonework in favour of concrete and steel construction. Amongst the building's most innovative features was its use of a welded steel frame construction, pioneered by structural engineer Felix Samuely. Construction of the De La Warr Pavilion began in January 1935. The building was opened on 12 December of the same year by the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth).

During the war and for fifty years afterwards the building degraded but in 2002, after a long application process, the Pavilion was granted £6 Million by the Heritage Lottery Fund & the Arts Council to restore the building and turn it into a contemporary arts centre. Work began in 2004 on the De La Warr Pavilionís regeneration and a transfer of the buildings ownership from Rother District Council to the De La Warr Pavilion Charitable Trust.

In 2005, after an extensive programme of restoration and regeneration, the De La Warr Pavilion reopened as a contemporary arts centre, encompassing one of the largest galleries on the south coast of England. A Hockney exhibition there at present - well worth a visit.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jeremy Bolwell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ7407, 609 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 10 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 13 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Coastal  Historic sites and artefacts  Public buildings and spaces  Roads, Road transport  City, Town centre  Construction, Development 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 7417 0714 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:50.2549N 0:28.3330E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 7419 0715
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 105 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register