NS2677 : Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariners' Home

taken 8 years ago, near to Greenock, Inverclyde, Great Britain

Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariners' Home
Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariners' Home
For other views, see NS2677 : Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariners' Home and linked images. The present photograph was taken from Newark Street.

Originally known as Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariners' Asylum, the home was opened on October 17, 1854, having been founded as the result of a bequest by commissary-general Sir Gabriel Wood (1767-1845).

Gabriel Wood was the son of a Greenock merchant (also called Gabriel Wood NS2776 : Burial place of Gabriel Wood), and he was born in Gourock on May 19, 1767. He entered the civil service, and served in the capacity of Vice-Consul for the state of Maryland. He was later sent to the West Indies, where he served as Commissary-General of Accounts until 1811. He likewise served in Canada as Commissary-General of Accounts in British North America. He died at Bath on October 29, 1845, having bequeathed funds that would allow a Mariners' Home to be set up.

As recorded in R.M.Smith's "The History of Greenock" (1921), "the deed of constitution bears that a sum of 38,000 was applied to the establishment and support of the Home or Asylum, for the reception of fifty aged and decayed merchant master mariners and merchant seamen, natives of Renfrew, Ayr, Dumbarton, Argyle, and Bute, and who should have attained the age of 55 years and be of good character".

At the time of writing, the establishment still operates as a care home. The architect who designed this building was David Mackintosh, a Greenock man who later moved to Exeter. The foundation stone was laid by Sir Michael Shaw Stewart in October, 1850.

The land on which the home was built was bought from the above-mentioned Sir Michael Shaw Stewart. Three burial grounds associated with the Mariners' Home are located within Greenock Cemetery (see NS2676 : Burial plot for the Mariners' Home and NS2676 : Burial plot for the Mariners' Home for two of them), as is an obelisk commemorating Adam MacKay, who was, for twenty years, the Home's house governor: NS2676 : Memorial to Adam McKay.

During the Second World War (more specifically, in 1942) the home was evacuated to Skelmorlie.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS2677, 176 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 17 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 28 September, 2011
Geographical Context
Health and social services 
Architect (from Tags)
David Mackintosh 
Period (from Tags)
19th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2610 7753 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.5527N 4:47.2361W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2607 7760
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 745 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register