SP0586 : Old Turn Junction

taken 10 years ago, near to Birmingham, Great Britain

This is 1 of 6 images, with title Old Turn Junction in this square
Old Turn Junction
Old Turn Junction
Three canals join here.
The Worcester and Birmingham Canal

The Worcester and Birmingham Canal was built in stages between 1791 and 1815 to connect the River Severn in Worcester to the Birmingham Canal System using a quicker route than the earlier Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. Opposition from other canal companies meant that for twenty years there was no direct connection in Birmingham, the last two and a bit metres of canal there being left uncompleted in 1795. LinkExternal link

This lunacy was eventually resolved by an Act of Parliament in 1815 and a stop-lock constructed.

Grain, timber and agricultural produce were carried to the Midlands. Industrial goods and coal were carried down towards Worcester, often for onward transport to Bristol. Later, salt carrying was added as a regular cargo. Pairs of donkeys were often used in preference to horses, maybe because they could easily be put onto the boats which had to be legged (or pulled by tug) through the tunnels.

The canal has five tunnels. The longest at Kings Norton is just under two miles long. Steam tugs were used from the 1870s to haul strings of narrowboats through Wasts Hill, Shortwood and Tardebigge tunnels. The Worcester and Birmingham Canal has locks, 58 of them, climbing 428 feet (130 metres) from the level of the River Severn in Worcester up to Birmingham.

In the twenty-first century the ring now formed by the two canals and the river makes a popular two weeks holiday route, albeit partly a strenuous one, lockwise, but there are plenty of pubs, though some are now merely restaurants with a bar. The Worcester and Birmingham Canal travels through some very pleasant countryside, climbing from the Severn through rolling fields and wooded cuttings and slicing through a hilly ridge south of Birmingham.

LinkExternal link

Birmingham Canal (BCN Main Line)

The Birmingham Canal was built from 1768 to 1772 by James Brindley from the then edge of Birmingham, at Paradise Wharf (also known as Old Wharf) near to Gas Street Basin to meet the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal at Aldersley, near Wolverhampton. The canal was upgraded and straightened by Thomas Telford between 1824-7.
The canal forms part of the Birmingham Canals Navigation, a network of canals in and around the city.
Wikipedia: LinkExternal link

Birmingham and Fazeley Canal

The Birmingham and Fazeley Canal is part of the Birmingham Canal Navigations. It forms a link between the Coventry Canal and Birmingham and thereby connects Birmingham to London via the Oxford Canal.
The canal was completed in 1789.
Wikipedia: LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP0586, 571 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 11 June, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 21 October, 2011
Geographical Context
Canals 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 0594 8681 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:28.7511N 1:54.8381W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 0595 8683
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 26 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register