NS5576 : Mugdock Reservoir [5]

taken 7 years ago, near to Mugdock, Stirling, Great Britain

Mugdock Reservoir [5]
Mugdock Reservoir [5]
A close up view of the tunnel which supplies Mugdock Reservoir from Loch Katrine.
Milngavie Reservoirs
Milngavie water treatment works is the primary source of the water for the city of Glasgow (and the Greater Glasgow area) in western Scotland. Part of the Victorian Loch Katrine water project, construction was started in 1855 and the works was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859, replacing the previous water supply sourced from the River Clyde at Cuningar Loop in Dalmarnock.
Its completion led to the virtual eradication of typhoid and cholera, diseases which were widespread at the time, from the city. The success of the project was marked by the erection of the Stewart Memorial Fountain in Kelvingrove Park. The works were described by James M. Gale as worthy to "bear comparison with the most extensive aqueducts in the world, not excluding those of ancient Rome".
The first aqueduct project was built under the guidance of John Frederick Bateman (an example of his engineering prowess that can still be seen working today). A second aqueduct was completed in 1901.
The works are currently operated by Scottish Water and at average demand, it can supply enough potable water to those it serves for up to 7 days. Its primary supply is via two aqueducts from Loch Katrine in the north, that run 26 miles, and can deliver up to 50,000,000 gallons a day. Milngavie itself is situated at almost 400ft above sea level - sufficient to provide adequate water pressure to the majority of Glasgow without the need for pumping. The Milngavie reservoirs distribute water to secondary reservoirs, such as Cockmuir Reservoir in Springburn Park, and various Water towers throughout the city.
Milngavie water treatment works has three reservoirs, Craigmaddie Reservoir to the East and Mugdock Reservoir to the West. Bankell Reservoir is situated to the North of Craigmaddie Reservoir. During the assembly of the new water treatment facilities, both the Mugdock and Craigmaddie reservoirs were drained in 2005 and 2006 respectively to facilitate the laying of pipes to and from the plant, and the resultant scene from Craigmaddie reservoir can be seen above. Special consideration had to be taken for the draining of the reservoirs, as they had never been drained in 150 years of operation.
Mugdock Reservoir
Mugdock reservoir was initially built and opened in the 1850s.
Craigmaddie Reservoir
The Craigmaddie service reservoir was built and opened in 1896 to cater for increased demand.
(From Wikipedia, Ref. The Water Supply of Glasgow LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robert Murray and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS5576, 49 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 1 November, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 4 November, 2011
Geographical Context
Water resources 
Near (from Tags)
Milngavie  Mugdock 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5563 7647 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.5689N 4:18.8484W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5562 7646
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Reservoir 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 179 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register