SU0993 : Cricklade: St. Sampson's Church

taken 14 years ago, near to Cricklade, Wiltshire, Great Britain

Cricklade: St. Sampson's Church
Cricklade: St. Sampson's Church
The massive tower of the parish church with its four tall rounded turrets dominates Cricklade and is a landmark for miles around. There has been a stone church here since the foundation of the borough in about 890. Dedicated to St. Sampson, who founded the Abbey-Bishopric of Dol in Brittany, it is one of only five named after him. Most of the present church was built between 1240 and 1280 but some traces of much earlier work remain. A major restoration took place in 1864. The tower is reputed to have been built by the Duke of Northumberland, father-in-law of Lady Jane Grey, between 1551 and 1553.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU0993, 160 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 24 October, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 29 October, 2006
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 099 935 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:38.4131N 1:51.5002W
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for SU0993)
This page has been viewed about 899 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register