NZ2463 : Kings House, Forth Banks

taken 9 years ago, near to Gateshead, Great Britain

This is 1 of 2 images, with title Kings House, Forth Banks in this square
Kings House, Forth Banks
Kings House, Forth Banks
Conditional planning permission was granted in January 2011 for the conversion of Kings House, Forth Banks Railway Warehouse NZ2463 : Forth Banks House, 1 - 4 Pottery Lane NZ2463 : Pottery Lane north-east of the railway bridge and the arches under the railway viaduct at the rear to a Police Station, replacing the one currently at sites on Pilgrim Street and Market Street. An additional new building will be built to the rear of Kings House to link the two other buildings.

There is a photo from 1975 here LinkExternal link
Forth Banks Goods Station

Construction started on Forth Banks Goods Station in 1866. It was designed by architect, Thomas Prosser, and was commissioned by the North Eastern Railway (NER). The Goods Station opened on the 3rd March 1871. There are photos of the interior here LinkExternal link LinkExternal link

In 1904, a new goods station was built for the NER, facing on to Forth Banks, on the end of Prosser's existing station. The probable architect was William Bell. It was extended eastwards by the building of a small, three storey, ferro-concrete shed in 1905. It was designed by William Bell and built by L G Mouchel's Hennebique Company. There is a 1989 photo here: LinkExternal link
It is a Grade II Listed Building LinkExternal link

Prosser's goods shed was cut in two by the building of the approach viaduct to the King Edward Bridge in 1904 but was one of the largest goods stations in the world. There is an aerial photo of the location from 1929 here LinkExternal link

All that now survives of Prosser's goods shed is the undercroft, the south face of which is a sandstone wall pierced by arch headed openings which runs alongside Pottery Lane. The rest was demolished in 1972.

Some literature maintains that the Newcastle-Carlisle Railway once had a passenger station on this site, or even that the Forth Banks Goods Warehouse itself was once a railway station. There appears to be little evidence for this, and the confusion may have arisen from its (second) temporary terminus (1847-1851) just west of Central Station being called Forth NZ2463 : Former site of Newcastle Forth Railway Station

Alan Young provides a plausible and likely scenario here LinkExternal link

The first terminus of the railway after the first Scotswood Railway Bridge was built (1839), taking it from Blaydon to the north of the Tyne, is usually referred to as 'Shot Tower’ or ‘Railway Street’, located just north of the current Arena car park. It was used from 1839 to 1847 LinkExternal link

The railway eventually terminated at Central Station shortly after it was completed in 1851.

SINE: Archive LinkExternal link
English Heritage Pastscape: LinkExternal link Archive LinkExternal link
English Heritage Archives: LinkExternal link

Tyne and Wear HER(4321): Newcastle, Forth Banks, Goods Station (first)
Tyne and Wear HER(8917): Newcastle, Forth Banks, Goods Station Warehouse (second)
Tyne & Wear Sitelines: LinkExternal link

A Brief History of the North Eastern Railway: LinkExternal link LinkExternal link
Disused Stations - Newcastle LinkExternal link

Newcastle City Council - Character Statement LinkExternal link

Planning permission has recently (2011) been granted for the incorporation of the buildings on Forth Banks (Bell's Goods Warehouse and Kings House), along with part of the site of the Goods Station at the rear, into a £37 million new Police Station for Northumbria Police.
LinkExternal link

Much of this is detailed in the following blog LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ2463, 1439 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 28 November, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 30 November, 2011
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Business, Retail, Services  City, Town centre 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2452 6360 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:57.9856N 1:37.1129W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2451 6365
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 264 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register