NZ2463 : Railway Bridge, Redheugh Bridge Road

taken 9 years ago, near to Dunston, Gateshead, Great Britain

Railway Bridge, Redheugh Bridge Road
Railway Bridge, Redheugh Bridge Road
There are two railway bridges here, both part of the original Newcastle and Carlisle Railway route on the north bank of the Tyne. The most distant ('NEN1/7') is at a slightly higher level as the trains have to rise to Newcastle Central Station. Before the Station was completed in 1851, the city terminus from 1839 was at Shot Tower, off Railway Street north-west of the Arena (off photo to the left).

The bridge nearest the camera ('Shot Tower Bridge FOG/3') provided an entry to Forth Banks Goods Station. The wall on the right that forms a boundary to the Goods Station shows signs of at least two other railway bridges that took lines from the sidings (where the Arena is now) into the Goods Station. Short sections of track still exist on both these lines NZ2463 : Forth Banks Goods Yard from Redheugh Bridge
LinkExternal link
Redheugh Bridge Road was the approach to the second Redheugh Road Bridge NZ2463 : The second Redheugh Road Bridge. The new bridge is situated slightly further to the east NZ2463 : Evening light on Redheugh Bridge
Forth Banks Goods Station

Construction started on Forth Banks Goods Station in 1866. It was designed by architect, Thomas Prosser, and was commissioned by the North Eastern Railway (NER). The Goods Station opened on the 3rd March 1871. There are photos of the interior here LinkExternal link LinkExternal link

In 1904, a new goods station was built for the NER, facing on to Forth Banks, on the end of Prosser's existing station. The probable architect was William Bell. It was extended eastwards by the building of a small, three storey, ferro-concrete shed in 1905. It was designed by William Bell and built by L G Mouchel's Hennebique Company. There is a 1989 photo here: LinkExternal link
It is a Grade II Listed Building LinkExternal link

Prosser's goods shed was cut in two by the building of the approach viaduct to the King Edward Bridge in 1904 but was one of the largest goods stations in the world. There is an aerial photo of the location from 1929 here LinkExternal link

All that now survives of Prosser's goods shed is the undercroft, the south face of which is a sandstone wall pierced by arch headed openings which runs alongside Pottery Lane. The rest was demolished in 1972.

Some literature maintains that the Newcastle-Carlisle Railway once had a passenger station on this site, or even that the Forth Banks Goods Warehouse itself was once a railway station. There appears to be little evidence for this, and the confusion may have arisen from its (second) temporary terminus (1847-1851) just west of Central Station being called Forth NZ2463 : Former site of Newcastle Forth Railway Station

Alan Young provides a plausible and likely scenario here LinkExternal link

The first terminus of the railway after the first Scotswood Railway Bridge was built (1839), taking it from Blaydon to the north of the Tyne, is usually referred to as 'Shot Tower’ or ‘Railway Street’, located just north of the current Arena car park. It was used from 1839 to 1847 LinkExternal link

The railway eventually terminated at Central Station shortly after it was completed in 1851.

SINE: Archive LinkExternal link
English Heritage Pastscape: LinkExternal link Archive LinkExternal link
English Heritage Archives: LinkExternal link

Tyne and Wear HER(4321): Newcastle, Forth Banks, Goods Station (first)
Tyne and Wear HER(8917): Newcastle, Forth Banks, Goods Station Warehouse (second)
Tyne & Wear Sitelines: LinkExternal link

A Brief History of the North Eastern Railway: LinkExternal link LinkExternal link
Disused Stations - Newcastle LinkExternal link

Newcastle City Council - Character Statement LinkExternal link

Planning permission has recently (2011) been granted for the incorporation of the buildings on Forth Banks (Bell's Goods Warehouse and Kings House), along with part of the site of the Goods Station at the rear, into a £37 million new Police Station for Northumbria Police.
LinkExternal link

Much of this is detailed in the following blog LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ2463, 1424 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 28 November, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 30 November, 2011
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Roads, Road transport  City, Town centre  Railways 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2428 6339 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:57.8731N 1:37.3389W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2433 6332
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 321 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register