NZ2463 : Tyne bridges from Times Square car park

taken 9 years ago, near to Gateshead, Great Britain

Tyne bridges from Times Square car park
Tyne bridges from Times Square car park
The green bridge cutting across the image is the main railway line above the former Forth Banks Goods Station approaching King Edward VII Bridge (off photo to the right). Behind, from the left, are the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, Tyne Bridge, High Level Bridge and the blue Metro Bridge. The buildings visible are the Baltic, Sage Music Centre, Hilton Hotel on the Gateshead bank, and nearer at hand, the rear of Forth Banks Goods Warehouse NZ2463 : Forth Banks House and the 15-storey apartment and office block at the bottom of Forth Banks NZ2463 : Queen Elizabeth II Metro Bridge.
Forth Banks Goods Station

Construction started on Forth Banks Goods Station in 1866. It was designed by architect, Thomas Prosser, and was commissioned by the North Eastern Railway (NER). The Goods Station opened on the 3rd March 1871. There are photos of the interior here LinkExternal link LinkExternal link

In 1904, a new goods station was built for the NER, facing on to Forth Banks, on the end of Prosser's existing station. The probable architect was William Bell. It was extended eastwards by the building of a small, three storey, ferro-concrete shed in 1905. It was designed by William Bell and built by L G Mouchel's Hennebique Company. There is a 1989 photo here: LinkExternal link
It is a Grade II Listed Building LinkExternal link

Prosser's goods shed was cut in two by the building of the approach viaduct to the King Edward Bridge in 1904 but was one of the largest goods stations in the world. There is an aerial photo of the location from 1929 here LinkExternal link

All that now survives of Prosser's goods shed is the undercroft, the south face of which is a sandstone wall pierced by arch headed openings which runs alongside Pottery Lane. The rest was demolished in 1972.

Some literature maintains that the Newcastle-Carlisle Railway once had a passenger station on this site, or even that the Forth Banks Goods Warehouse itself was once a railway station. There appears to be little evidence for this, and the confusion may have arisen from its (second) temporary terminus (1847-1851) just west of Central Station being called Forth NZ2463 : Former site of Newcastle Forth Railway Station

Alan Young provides a plausible and likely scenario here LinkExternal link

The first terminus of the railway after the first Scotswood Railway Bridge was built (1839), taking it from Blaydon to the north of the Tyne, is usually referred to as 'Shot Tower’ or ‘Railway Street’, located just north of the current Arena car park. It was used from 1839 to 1847 LinkExternal link

The railway eventually terminated at Central Station shortly after it was completed in 1851.

SINE: Archive LinkExternal link
English Heritage Pastscape: LinkExternal link Archive LinkExternal link
English Heritage Archives: LinkExternal link

Tyne and Wear HER(4321): Newcastle, Forth Banks, Goods Station (first)
Tyne and Wear HER(8917): Newcastle, Forth Banks, Goods Station Warehouse (second)
Tyne & Wear Sitelines: LinkExternal link

A Brief History of the North Eastern Railway: LinkExternal link LinkExternal link
Disused Stations - Newcastle LinkExternal link

Newcastle City Council - Character Statement LinkExternal link

Planning permission has recently (2011) been granted for the incorporation of the buildings on Forth Banks (Bell's Goods Warehouse and Kings House), along with part of the site of the Goods Station at the rear, into a £37 million new Police Station for Northumbria Police.
LinkExternal link

Much of this is detailed in the following blog LinkExternal link

King Edward VII Bridge

The bridge was designed and engineered by Charles A. Harrison, the Chief Civil Engineer of the North Eastern Railway, and built by the Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Company in Darlington between 1902 and 1906 LinkExternal link LinkExternal link

The bridge is not particularly elegant but functional, consisting of four lattice steel spans NZ2463 : Cross Country train crossing King Edward VII Bridge resting on concrete-filled caissons, used in the construction LinkExternal link LinkExternal link

The total length of the bridge is 1,150 feet (350 m) and 112 ft (34 m) above high water mark. It was built with the aid of the largest cableway in the world, 463.5m long, suspended 61m above high water made of 7.6cm diameter steel LinkExternal link It carried over 23,000 tons of material. After the bridge was finished, the cable was sent to the Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson shipyard, where it was used to launch the Mauritania.

Originally trains used the High Level Bridge to reach Newcastle Central Station and had to leave the station in the same direction they had entered from, which involved the tedious task of reversing.

The construction of the King Edward VII Bridge provided four more rail tracks NZ2463 : King Edward VII Bridge, and a direct line through the station enabling trains to enter or leave from either side and thus eased rail congestion NZ2463 : Cross Country train approaches Newcastle Central
LinkExternal link

The bridge was opened by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra on 10 July 1906. The total cost amounted to £500,000.

Wikipedia: LinkExternal link
Tyne & Wear Museums: Archive LinkExternal link
Bridges on the Tyne: LinkExternal link Archive LinkExternal link
SINE: Archive LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ2463, 1439 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 28 November, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 4 December, 2011
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Roads, Road transport  City, Town centre  Railways 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2449 6351 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:57.9372N 1:37.1415W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2432 6348
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 209 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register