2011

NZ2463 : Gateshead Riverside Park from the Redheugh Bridge

taken 12 years ago, near to Gateshead, England

Gateshead Riverside Park from the Redheugh Bridge
Gateshead Riverside Park from the Redheugh Bridge
The tower block on the right is St Cuthbert's Court on Windmill Hill NZ2462 : Tower block, Windmill Hill
Down below, close to the river, was the former site of Redheugh Railway Station, a terminus on a branch line from Blaydon of the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway. The line opened on 1st March 1837. Passengers and goods were ferried across the Tyne to and from a 'rail-less' station situated at the west end of the Close on the Newcastle bank. An inclined plane, on the route of the path in the centre of the photo, was constructed in 1839 and ran through the stone arches to the right of King Edward Bridge, to join the Brandling Junction Railway at Greenesfield LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
In October 1839, the route from Blaydon via Scotswood Bridge to Newcastle on the north bank of the Tyne was opened to passenger traffic. Redheugh was still convenient for goods transport, especially for timber from North Sea ports which was unloaded from ship at Redheugh Quay, and transported by rail to Carlisle, and then onwards to Liverpool and Ireland. It remained a vital connection between the North and Irish Seas although eventually closed in the 1960s.
There is a photo of the incline taken in 1991 here LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
Gateshead Riverside Park

Pipewellgate, which runs through Riverside Park, was named after the ‘pipe well’ from which wooden pipes carried Gateshead’s water supply. It was once part of a thriving trading community which looked to the river for its transport, and benefited from access to the south by the main London to Newcastle road and to the north by the Tyne Bridge. The first evidence of industrial activity was in 1408 when staiths were built. Pipewellgate ran parallel to the river and was developed with small factories, workshops and tenements. It was generally regarded as one of the worst residential areas in Gateshead. During the second half of the C19th, those who could afford to do so moved to more pleasant areas and by the 1930s slum clearance programmes began.

Emerging developments in rail, tram and road transport all bypassed the steep slopes of the riverside area and instead used Askew Road. In 1839 a railway linking Gateshead, South Shields and Monkwearmouth was opened. In 1844 a station was constructed at Greenesfield as well as the ‘high-level’ bridge across the Tyne. The station was closed in August 1850 when the Central Station in Newcastle was opened. The area was then converted into railway workshops and a hotel. Greenesfield Works became Gateshead’s largest single employer, with 3,300 employees in 1909. However, by 1910 the site had reached the physical limits of expansion, and locomotive construction was transferred to Darlington. The site continued to be used as a railway maintenance facility into the 1980s, and the buildings have now been converted into luxury apartments as part of the Ochre Yards housing development.

Industry remained on Pipewellgate until the recent closure of Brett Oils and Grease company, established in 1877 on the site of Joseph Price’s glass works. Pipewellgate is now used as the route for the high-speed Centrelink bus service linking Gateshead town centre and the Metrocentre.

Riverside Park was landscaped during 1960-1970. During the late 1980’s and in the early 1990’s a number of sculptures were introduced within the park. The development of the park as an ‘art venue’ and a valuable open space for local people continues to this day.

The Riverside Park provides a vital refuge for wildlife in the urban area and supports a wide range of habitats including areas of woodland, scrubland and grassland. In spring the scrub and wooded areas are filled with the rich sound of birdsong. Listen out for the distinctive calls of species such as the blackbird, robin and wren. Hedgehogs, grey squirrels and foxes have also made the park their home and at night the shadowy silhouette of pipistrelle bats can sometimes be seen hunting for insects among the tree tops.

Gateshead Riverside Park (pdf) LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Lowlands Grassland Rivers, Streams, Drainage Park and Public Gardens City, Town centre Woodland, Forest other tags: Tower Block Park Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NZ2463, 1553 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Andrew Curtis   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 15 December, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 18 December, 2011
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2465 6300 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:57.6618N 1:36.9941W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2460 6297
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 481 times
You are not logged in login | register