NS3975 : Bridgend House

taken 7 years ago, near to Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

This is 1 of 2 images, with title Bridgend House in this square
Bridgend House
Bridgend House
For a different and earlier view, see NS3975 : Bridgend House.

When the present picture was taken, the building served as the local office of the Citizens Advice Bureau (see end-note). However, it was originally built as a Salvation Army citadel.

Note the three white stones that can be seen in the low boundary wall at the front of the building; these are foundation stones, laid by local dignitaries. One of them reads: "This stone was laid by Walter Brock Esq. 28th August 1937". The others have the same inscription, but with the names "Miss C.H.Whyte" (or E.H.Whyte the inscription is rather worn) and "Major David Cockb[urn]" (only part of his surname remains legible). See NS3975 : Foundation stone, former Salvation Army citadel for a view of one of the stones.

By 1937, the Salvation Army had been present in Dumbarton for 47 years, but during that period they had moved from place to place within the town. The hall would provide them with more suitable premises; it was designed to accommodate 250 people.

The stone-laying ceremony was presided over by Colonel W Booth Davey. The first of the four foundation stones was laid by a Miss Thompson of Oakbank, who was acting on behalf of the wife of Walter Brock (see next), she being indisposed on the day. The other three stones were laid by Walter Brock of Leabank (see NS4075 : The Brock Family Memorial for that family), by Miss Whyte of Barnhill (NS4275 : Barnhill House), and by Major Cockburn. The hall itself cost 2605 4s, considerably more than the original estimate of 874. It opened in the spring of 1938, and only ceased to be used by the Salvation Army as recently as 2007.

The day of the stone-laying ceremony was an eventful one for Dumbarton, since it also saw the unveiling of a memorial to Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham at a knoll called Arthur's Seat, about 1km to the WNW: see NS3875 : Arthur's Seat for the details.

[Regarding the name "Citizens Advice Bureau": there is no apostrophe in the name of the organisation; I mention this only in case it is mistakenly corrected as a typo.]
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3975, 502 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 5 January, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 14 January, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites  Derelict, Disused 
Former (from Tags)
Salvation Army Citadel 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3938 7542 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.6939N 4:34.4119W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3941 7541
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Citizens Advice Bureau 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 109 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register