TQ2078 : South Parade | Esmond Road postbox (ref. W4 30)

taken 7 years ago, near to Chiswick, Hounslow, Great Britain

South Parade | Esmond Road postbox (ref. W4 30)
South Parade | Esmond Road postbox (ref. W4 30)
VR cipher pillar box on the corner of Esmond Road, which marks the western boundary of the Bedford Park conservation area.
Bedford Park Garden Suburb :: TQ2179
Although not originally called a garden suburb, it can realistically claim to be the first such, predating Hampstead Garden Suburb.
The aim of the developer, John Carr, was to create a relatively green landscape, using the existing mature trees in the area, resulting in the relatively unstructured road layout of the initial development.
Development commenced in 1875, Carr joined up with leading architects of the period to create stylish houses in the current Aesthetic style, firstly Edwin William Godwin, with whom he fell out after just a few years, and later Robert Norman Shaw, who was nationally recognised.
With the community and social facilities included in the development, it became a fashionable place to live, with many artistic residents, remaining so for around 40 years.
By the middle of the 20th century it had however declined, with many properties having passed into multiple ownership. Demolition of a couple of properties around 1960 alerted people to the importance of the area, resulting in the formation of the Bedford Park Society. Owing to its efforts, 356 properties, effectively the whole of the initial 1875 to 1885 phase of development were listed by 1967, and the whole area became a conservation area under the auspices of the two London Boroughs, Ealing and Hounslow, in which Bedford Park lies.
The result has been a considerable reversion to single ownership, and virtually complete refurbishment of the houses.
Victorian Postboxes
In the British Isles the first pillar post boxes were erected in Jersey in 1852. Roadside wall boxes first appeared in 1857 as a cheaper alternative to pillar boxes, especially in rural districts. In 1853 the first pillar box in Britain was installed at Botchergate, Carlisle. In 1856 Richard Redgrave of the Department of Science and Art designed an ornate pillar box for use in London and other large cities. In 1859 the design was improved, and this became the first National Standard pillar box. Green was adopted as the standard colour for the early Victorian post boxes. Between 1866 and 1879 the hexagonal Penfold post box became the standard design for pillar boxes and it was during this period that red was first adopted as the standard colour. The first boxes to be painted red were in London in July 1874, although it would be nearly 10 years before all the boxes had been repainted.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ2078, 339 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 10 January, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 18 January, 2012
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Suburb, Urban fringe  Communications 
Postbox (from Tags)
VR  Pillar Box 
Place (from Tags)
Bedford Park 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 2089 7882 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:29.7244N 0:15.5968W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 2088 7880
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 83 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register