J3583 : Bleach Green viaducts, Whiteabbey (8)

taken 7 years ago, near to Jordanstown and Whiteabbey, Northern Ireland

Bleach Green viaducts, Whiteabbey (8)
Bleach Green viaducts, Whiteabbey (8)
The eastern side of the Londonderry line viaduct – looking towards Belfast.
Bleach Green viaducts, Whiteabbey
Usually referred to as “Bleach Green viaduct” there are three viaducts carrying the lines from Belfast to Ballymena/Londonderry and Larne Harbour across the Three Mile Water and Valentine’s Glen, to the north of Whiteabbey station.
When opened in 1848, the line to Ballymena used the Larne line as far as Greenisland (then called “Carrickfergus Junction”) where it left, by a trailing junction, to head towards Monkstown and Ballymena.
This indirect route resulted in longer journey times and time-consuming operations as locomotives ran round their trains. In 1931 work started on the construction of a loop line from Bleach Green to Monkstown, the effect of which was to create a shorter, direct, line from Belfast to Ballymena and Londonderry and eliminate the reversing at Greenisland.
A special train, on 17 January 1934, marked the formal opening of the loop line (of just under 1½ miles) and viaduct.
The project also involved the building of a new viaduct for the down Larne line and the creation of a burrowing junction (remotely controlled) where the down Larne line ran under the main line.
The main line viaduct, of reinforced concrete, is 630ft long, 70ft at its highest and has ten arches. It has a ruling gradient of 1:176½. The down Larne line viaduct (also reinforced concrete 400ft in length and 40ft in height. The original stone viaduct carrying the up Larne line (1848) remained in use.
For further reading see “The Northern Counties Railway” by JRL Currie, David & Charles (1974).
The Glen Park, Whiteabbey :: J3582
A park, owned by Newtownabbey Borough Council, based around the glen of the Three Mile Water, between Bleach Green Viaduct and the Glenville Road, (off the Shore Road at Whiteabbey). The area is now called “The Glen” though it seems originally to have been “Valentine’s Glen”. The Three Mile Water rises between Mossley and Doagh before flowing into Belfast Lough at Whiteabbey.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Albert Bridge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3583, 43 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 1 February, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 1 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Suburb, Urban fringe  Railways 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 353 834 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:40.8619N 5:54.1346W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 353 835
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Newtownabbey  Whitehouse  Railway Viaduct  Viaduct  Glen  Park  Reinforced Concrete  Northern Ireland Railways  Translink 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 295 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register