2012

NZ1847 : The first and last house in Burnhope

taken 12 years ago, near to Burnhope, County Durham, England

The first and last house in Burnhope
The first and last house in Burnhope
Burnhope was categorised as a "category D village" by Durham County Council. With the decline of coal-mining locally, 114 villages were classified in this way in 1951, and another seven in 1964. They were left to wither and die, without economic assistance or development. The policy ended in 1977, but many still have an old fashioned air, contrasting with newer areas of commuter housing.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Christine Johnstone and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Village, Rural settlement Housing, Dwellings Housing: Detached House other tags: Village Edge Detached House Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Houses [4] · Decline of Coal-mining Locally [2] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NZ1847, 32 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Christine Johnstone   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 April, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 20 April, 2012
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1848 4788 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:49.5254N 1:42.8333W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1839 4779
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 87 times
You are not logged in login | register