NS3880 : Christie Park: inscription on the lodge

taken 7 years ago, near to Alexandria, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Christie Park: inscription on the lodge
Christie Park: inscription on the lodge
For context, see NS3880 : Christie Park, which shows the building (originally the park keeper's lodge) on which this inscription is carved. The text appears on the eastern wall (the side facing the main road), and is as follows (reproduced here so that it can be found by searches):

"This park was gifted to the inhabitants of the parish of Bonhill by John Christie Esqr. of John Orr Ewing & Co : Alexandria 5th July 1902".

In order to create the park, Christie purchased (in 1900) what had formerly been known as Notman's Park, and the area of woodland behind it. In 1902, he made known his intentions to donate the park to the parish, and to provide the sum of £2000 for its upkeep. However, see the entry for "Christie Park" at LinkExternal link (at the Vale of Leven website) for the actual source of the money used to fund the park's creation.

The park was officially opened on the date mentioned on the inscription; a procession was part of the festivities. At three in the afternoon, Mrs Christie (née Jessie Fulton – see below) opened the NS3880 : Main gates of Christie Park using a golden key. By that time, not everything had yet been completed: the bandstand (no longer present – see below) had not been painted, a shelter had not been erected, and the proposed woodland paths at the back of the park had not been created (in the meantime, the public were asked not to wander off into the woods).

The park was laid out in accordance with designs by Mr Whitton (James Whitton, superintendent of Glasgow Parks); these designs were carried out by a certain Mr J Leith of Rothesay.

In 1952 the park's 50th Jubilee was celebrated here. The Christie Park Veterans' Bowling Club had their green and club house within the park from 1916 onwards (they are now located nearby). As mentioned above, there was originally a bandstand within the park; it was sold off in the 1980s, supposedly to be re-erected elsewhere.

The donor of the park is sometimes referred to as John Christie of Gallangad. He was John Hyde Christie, born at Barrhead (NS5058) in 1836. He studied chemistry at Glasgow, and was first employed by his cousin's firm, Hay and Hyde, silk manufacturers and dyers at Port Dundas (NS5966). In 1859 he left to take up the post of chemist at John Orr Ewing and Company's Alexandria Works (see NS3980 : Turkey Red Dye Works Gates Alexandria and NS3980 : Linnbrane Hole for the remnants of the buildings).

He became assistant manager of the works fifteen years later, and then manager. In 1878 he became a partner in the firm. In 1898 several firms (John Orr Ewing & Co, Archibald Orr Ewing & Co, and William Stirling & Sons) amalgamated to form the United Turkey Red Company Ltd., and Christie became chairman of the combined operation. He held that position until 1922, when he retired (his eldest son Henry William Christie succeeded him as UTRC chairman). John Christie was also interested in the production of synthetic dyes, and was a director of the British Alizarine Company.

In 1872 he married Jessie Fulton, the third daughter of the farmer John Fulton. Christie purchased the Gallangad estate (NS4483) from Mr Cunningham Graham in 1895, and the adjoining Croftfoot (NS4383) in the following year. Mrs Christie died in 1924, and her husband died in 1926 at his Alexandria residence of Levenfield [the biographical information above is taken from his obituary in the Lennox Herald].
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3880, 93 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 21 May, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 31 May, 2012
Geographical Context
Park and Public Gardens 
Place (from Tags)
Alexandria 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3892 8042 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:59.3773N 4:35.0328W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3893 8043
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Lodge  Christie Park  Inscription 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 573 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register