SO7137 : Memorial to John Hamilton Martin, Ledbury church
taken 12 years ago, near to Ledbury, County of Herefordshire, England
Grade I listed
This large church was already established by the year 1200 and is one of the finest churches in Herefordshire.
It was probably originally built on a pagan site and the first stone church was built in the early years of the 12th century. The Bishop of Hereford was Lord of the Manor.
The church tower is not attached to the main building. Originally only the bottom stages of the tower were built in around 1230. The spire is 202 feet high but the spire itself was only built in 1733. There are eight bells.
The North porch has a parvise and was built during the 14th century.
The South arcade columns in the nave date from about 1330, and those of the North arcade are from the mid-15th century.
The chancel arch was originally a round headed Norman arch, but it was probably later reshaped. The chancel and sanctuary are the oldest parts of the church dating from the 12th century. There are round headed arches and porthole windows, these originally looked out over the lower roofs of side aisles.
There is an Easter Sepulchre in the north wall dating from the 14th century. There is also an attached chapterhouse added in about 1330.
The church was originally dedicated to St Peter and only finally became known as St Michael and All Angels during the 19th century.
There are several memorials and brasses in the church including a fine memorial to the Skynner family SO7137 : Skynner Memorial, Ledbury Church and also to the Biddulph family.
- Grid Square
- SO7137, 762 images (more nearby 🔍)
- Julian P Guffogg (more nearby)
- Date Taken
- Saturday, 26 May, 2012 (more nearby)
- Friday, 1 June, 2012
- Subject Location
OSGB36: SO 7128 3769 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:2.2118N 2:25.2057W
- Camera Location
- OSGB36: SO 7128 3770
- View Direction
- Southeast (about 135 degrees)