NS3977 : Former course of railway line (Dalquhurn Works)

taken 9 years ago, near to Renton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Former course of railway line (Dalquhurn Works)
Former course of railway line (Dalquhurn Works)
This photograph was taken near the intake of NS3977 : The lade at Dalquhurn. The lade, visible at the far right in the present photograph, was constructed for the Dalquhurn Dye Works; those works occupied the area where houses (NS3977 : Dalquhurn Estate) are now visible in the background.

A pug (a Barclay 0-4-0 locomotive) used to travel along this side (the western bank) of the River Leven, serving the works at Dalquhurn and at Cordale Point. The metal bridge that is visible on the left at NS3977 : The Lade at Dalquhurn Renton is the means by which that railway line crossed the lade.

The second-edition OS map (c.1898) shows a branch (labelled "mineral railway") leading into the heart of the dye works; the course of that line roughly corresponds to that of the curving concrete structure that can be seen just right of centre in the foreground. For another view, see NS3977 : Old gatepost at Dalquhurn; the pug probably passed through a gate here, similar to the one shown at NS3977 : Old gateposts.

For a view in the opposite direction, see NS3977 : Former course of railway line (Dalquhurn Works).

- - - -

Incidentally, the first-edition OS map (c.1860) and later maps also show a tomb, whose location corresponds to roughly the centre of the present photograph.

The tomb was that of George Scott. It was broken up and removed many years ago. As J.Agnew notes in "The Story of the Vale of Leven" (1976), "the sepulchre was referred to for many years as 'The Black Lady's Tomb'"; that book gives the Latin inscription on the stone. See LinkExternal link (at Canmore) for further details.

By as early as 1891, some misconceptions had already grown up in connection with George Scott's tombstone: in his "Historic Families, etc.", published in that year, local historian Donald MacLeod could state that "it has been considered by many that this tombstone covered the remains of one or other of the members of the Smollett family who lived at Dalquhurn House, but that conjecture is erroneous".

George Scott was a merchant who married a Miss Stirling, and who lived for a time at Dalquhurn Cottage (which is now gone; it was located nearby, close to NS3977 : The former site of Dalquhurn House). He spent 15 years in India, but died at London (in his 37th year, on the 6th of November, 1767) immediately after his return to Britain. In accord with his wishes, his brothers Charles and William brought his remains to Dalquhurn to be buried.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3977, 335 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 21 May, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 2 June, 2012
Geographical Context
Railways  Derelict, Disused 
Place (from Tags)
Dalquhurn 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3905 7790 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:58.0228N 4:34.8174W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3905 7793
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 160 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register