2012

SK9799 : Detail of Memorial to William Aubrey de Vere, Redbourne church

taken 12 years ago, near to Redbourne, North Lincolnshire, England

Detail of Memorial to William Aubrey de Vere, Redbourne church
Detail of Memorial to William Aubrey de Vere, Redbourne church
William Aubrey de Vere Beauclark, 9th Duke of St Albans. (1801-1849). Married Harriet Mellon (1777-1837) of London, then Elizabeth Gubbins (1818-1893) of St Leonards on Sea at Harby. They had three children, William, Diana and Charlotte.
St Andrew's church, Redbourne

Grade I listed.
14th to 15th Century.
The tower of the church is immensely tall. The two upper stages of the tower are a late 18th century addition to the medieval original.
The church itself, of clerestoried nave with aisles and shorted chancel, is medieval, but done up in 18th century Gothick dress (by Thomas and William Lumby, 1772-74), many of the fittings are clearly Georgian Gothick.
Inside the nave arches are in the 14th century Decorated style, with octagonal piers. Over the nave is a Gothick plaster vault, hiding the old oak roof above.
The white marble font is by Richard Hayward and dates to 1775.
On the south side of the chancel is the black incised slab to Sir Gerard Sothill,(d.1410) which F.A. Greenhill regards as foreign work, and exceptionally fine. The knight lies in full armour, his feet on a greyhound, and his head supported by angels: ‘Hic iacet dominus Gerardus Sothill miles, qui obit primo die Augusti Anno Domini millesimo CCCV cuius anime miserere Deus. Amen.’
A restoration of the church in 1888 added the present porch, stripped the plaster from the walls of the nave and aisles, and substituted plain pine pews for the 18th century ones.
Sadly the church fell into disrepair and by the 1970’s was beyond the resources of the parish to repair. In 1979 St Andrew’s was placed in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Religious sites Place: Redbourne Church: St Andrews other tags: Memorial Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
This photo is linked from: Articles: · Angels on Memorials · Redundant Lincolnshire churches ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SK9799, 94 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
J.Hannan-Briggs   (more nearby)
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 27 May, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 10 June, 2012
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9733 9994 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:29.2309N 0:32.0762W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9734 9994
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 342 times
You are not logged in login | register