2004

TQ3095 : Penrose House, Highlands Village

taken 20 years ago, near to Southgate, Enfield, England

Penrose House, Highlands Village
Penrose House, Highlands Village
The Northern Convalescent Fever Hospital at Winchmore Hill, Enfield, was one of the two such hospital sites to be established by the Metropolitan Asylums Board, the other being the Southern Hospital near Dartford. The MAB had been set up in 1867 to administer care for certain categories of the sick poor in metropolitan London and between 1870 and 1900 set up a ring of infectious diseases hospitals around the capital. After the passing of the 1891 Public Health (London) Law Consolidation Bill, the MAB entered a period of expansion, of which the Northern was a part.

The 36-acre site, formerly part of the Chaseville Park estate, was acquired by the Board in 1883-4. The partnership of Pennington and Bridgen were the architects for the new hospital whose foundation stone was laid in May, 1885. The hospital was opened on 25th September, 1887.

In 2001, the building were converted into residential apartments. More info at LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robert Staples and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Residential
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TQ3095, 503 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Robert Staples   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 25 April, 2004   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 27 July, 2005
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 307 956 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:38.6411N 0:6.7485W
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for TQ3095)
This page has been viewed about 754 times
You are not logged in login | register