TF4375 : St James' church, Rigsby

taken 7 years ago, near to Alford, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St James' church, Rigsby
St James' church, Rigsby
Believed to be the first church of Alford and Rigsby, most probably Saxon, sequestrated by William the Conqueror and as with much of the area, given to Bishop Odo of Bayeux (his half brother).
Converted to a Chapelry by Robert de Welle in 1195, and given by Gilbert de Rigsby to the Gilbertine Priory of St Katherine at Lincoln.
The registrar of St James dates from 1686.
The present building of Ancaster stone dates from 1863, was designed by James Fowler, and was erected at a cost of 685. All the labourers in the Parish of Rigsby with Ailby contributed a weeks wages.
This replaced the chalk walled and thatched roof structure supported by wooden props. The inner portions of the doorway of the West frond and the arch from the nave to the vestry are remnants of the original Normal building.
The stained glass Catherine wheel window in the west front was given by Lady Mary Nisbet-Hamilton.
A sword and helmet were discovered in a tomb (unidentified) in the churchyard but are not now considered to be of Roman origin as then thought, more probably date from the 15th century.
The octagonal font dates from 1350-1500.

See other images of St James' Church, Rigsby
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF4375, 43 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 5 August, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 28 August, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St James 
Place (from Tags)
Rigsby 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4308 7538 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:15.3684N 0:8.6006E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4306 7537
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Fourth Visitor for TF4375)
This page has been viewed about 143 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register